Hats Protocol Ethos

Earlier today, we shared our commitment to several core values in the Hats Protocol Ethos:

(full article here: Hats Protocol | Ethos)

We believe in these values, and we strive to embody them more deeply with every passing day.

But they are not only ours to determine. It is really the Hats community who will help craft, evolve, and embody our shared values.

With that in mind, I would personally love to hear what resonates most with you, and especially what doesn’t or what we may have missed in this first version.

What do you all think?

2 Likes

Honestly I think you guys nailed it, ethos-wise!

Making the protocol accessible on the “permaweb” I think is one of the critical things, as you all say here:

" Lastly — we see that open source code can last forever as an idea , far past the life-span of any individuals or organizations contributing to Hats Protocol."

And in terms of business models, if the protocol is as widely useful as I expect it to be, you guys should have sufficient demand to offer consulting or custom implementation services, without compromising the foundational open-source vision.

2 Likes

I think that the composability section is particularly strong. When a product is young its easy to make it “everything”. One of Hats’ greatest strengths is that there is a strong thesis around what it is AND what it isn’t, which affords more development and exploration around integration. This is part of a lot of web3 technologies, but not enterprise software - which are two very different worlds that Hats brings together. Maintaining a clear vision around the simplicity of core functionality and the intentional design for composability will help control scope creep and ultimately make it easier to understand. Kudos!

That could be something to expand on in the future… The lack of composability in enterprise software which causes orgs to lose control of their tooling by either going with web2 all-in-one platforms or spiraling into disorganization. In many ways, Hats represents a third path with the roles in your organization serving as the substrate on top of which all of your other tooling sits. Sort of like an organizational settlement layer that is fully owned and controlled by the organization itself, mitigating risk of internal or external capture.

4 Likes

:100:

THIS is the scope of what we have the opportunity to build, and the the scale of the impact we have the opportunity to make

Really interesting to think about what a Gusto integration of Hats could look like, or Asana/Jira etc. Looking at how role management is handled in enterprise software today and what those pain points are could yield good problem statements which could eventually assemble into a larger integration strategy

2 Likes